I do not like this idea. I think the concept of protecting our youth from bad influences predates any media. Parents probably told their kids 10,000 years ago, during the hunting and gathering times, not to play with certain people who were a bad influence. I think this message, of protection can be found in any age, in the age where the only form of media was the book, and than with the addition of the telivision, and news paper, and now the internet. The struggles and fears we go through as a culture today are the same one's around since forever.
"Because of cost many youth are being left behind, with no access to media, internet,tv, etc. and many social commentators see the world as more fragmented and individualized," *(how can that be with the internet?)
This is another concept from chaptor one that I disagree with. With the age of the internet people can connect with people form all over the world. The world is so much less fragmented and connected it ridiculous. When Iran began protesting a fews years back after a fraudulent election the Iranian people organized their protests through twitter. The outside world did not have to rely on a corporate dominated view of the events, from fox news or nbc news. These mass market news outlets have a history of producing such a narrow view of events. Instead I was able to hear about the events directly from Iranians on twitter. And I could directly help out. For example the Iranian government was able to cut off twitter acounts from those who had a certain setting on their account, where the local time was iranian time. People all around the world were asked, and began to change this setting to local Iranian time.
No comments:
Post a Comment