Sunday, June 5, 2011

Thoughts

Professor Pickett asked me four questions regarding a discussion post where I gave my opinion. When I first read the questions it seemd like it would be a lot of work trying to find the answers. It seemed like my reply, in the form of a discussion post would be the length of an essay.   :o

But I pushed through and did it. The article I had to read to answer her question on theories and models of diffusion of technology was the hardest to get through. I was never one for theories, especially obvious ones like a) your boss forces you to use new technology vs b) you use new technology on your on thats makes you so productive the boss adopts it for everyone, and probably fires you for underminding his leadership.

I feel most theories I read in undergrad work were so obvious and I never got how people got away with creating them in theory form. No one wrote a theory for eating. Open mouth, put food in, chew swallow. Or breathing.

But the last article I read after the, yawn, diffusion one, yawn, was about digital natives. WOW . That article was just awesome and I would never have read it if the 4 questions were not posed to me. The article was Digital Natives, Digital Immigrants by Mark Prensky. He talked about the digital native, the student who grows up immerssed in technology for the immigrant, who learns as he grows up and uses the technology with an accent. And the problem we have today, where the immigrant is trying to teach the native and its not working.

Its also funny how a few days go I added Mark Pensky's website to my diigo bookmark collection, and shared with the class, as usual. I forgot where I heard his name mentioned, but re-watching the the two required videos for module one, his quote was in one of them, I forget which.

No comments:

Post a Comment