Thursday, June 30, 2011

Module 3 Feelings

We are almost done with module 3, almost half through the course. I have had up's and downs during my experience. Last module I felt I really got into a groove between my reflections and my discussion posts, and I had a real idea where my class was going. 


This module started off slow for me. The readings were not really motivating me and I feel like I lost that groove from the previous module. But last night I found it again. I think my motivation has a lot to do with learning about interesting concepts and discovering them. 


Last night I looked at the discussion directions Professor Pickett gave us. She specifically asked us In this discussion I would like you to focus on what it really will mean to be "learner-centered" in your online course. I did a search in our school's research database system for the phrase "Learner centered" which lead me to one article that took the ideas used in the business world about what it means to be a leader and manager of others and transfered them to the classroom setting. The author argued that there is such a wealth of material published in other fields that can easily by used in the education field. I enjoyed reading the article but more importantly following the constructionist pattern and my philosophy for learning on the web I did a search for John Dewey who was mentioned in the article. He was quoted talking about learner-centered education. 


These two articles lit the spark of inspiration for me in module 3. Wednesday night. Day 10 of a 14 day module. Next module I will try to find that spark in day 3 or 4. 


From this experience I can take away two key points. I want to use the constructionist model in the online class I am creating. And Bill Pelz point from his article this module is a strong one. The learner is in charge of the learning. 


I really do enjoy reading and article, grabbing key points, and researching those key points further. The internet is like a rabbit hole and it is up to the learner as to how deep they want to go. I can only hope that my students will enjoy this process and be motivated by it like I am. I guess I cannot expect that. No two people are the same so I am sure I will find a few students who do not like this model. 


3

No comments:

Post a Comment