Thursday, May 26, 2011

Thoughts on creating my own course

The idea of creating my own online course is a little intimidating to me, maybe because I have never taught a course before, and I do not have a teaching degree. But I have always wanted to be a teacher so this will definitely be a fun project once I wrap my head around it. I have a few idea for the course.
One idea comes from my strongest passion, exercise. I am always looking for new cool ways to move the body to build the strongest most agile body possible. The strongest most agile body is not the person who has muscles popping out everywhere like most people think.ImagsBodyBuilder
But who would want to take a course online about training. Its like learning martial arts from a video, I don’t think it can be done.
*Update* I just had some more ideas for this course. Instead of teaching how to train we can cover different training ideas, traditional gym training, body weight training, strongman training, etc. We can also cover some of the very different nutrition ideas like conventional wisdom that fat is bad, vs. new ideas that say its not the fat its the sugar that is bad.
Another idea I have is a Political Science course. This is the subject I majored in, in my undergraduate work. Maybe something having to do with current events. Or the economic crash of 2008 where I can cover the event, the events leading up to it, the events the are still unfolding, all the different layers that lead to the crash. I have been very interested in the crash and have followed it intensely and I have blogged about it.
Another idea, following the Political Science theme, could be a class on huge dramatic events that are shaping our world in huge ways. We can discuss major political events over the past 5 years/10 years.  Events could include, the Iraq war, Afghanistan war, economic crash, Hurricane Katrina, the Gulf Oil spill, the Nuclear Meltdown in Japan, all the parallel revolutions in the Middle East.
Just writing these ideas out I am getting more motivated. I now wish we could create 3 courses! Well, maybe once I see the workload I wont be thinking that.

No comments:

Post a Comment