Tuesday, July 26, 2011

My passion for the course I am building

So we are at the module in the course to create a final draft of our course. All the course work, all the assignments, all the discussions, and all the documents and video's for the students to read. The documents and video's was the hardest thing to compile for my class. Probably because I have not taught this course before. Or any course for that matter. I have only held one on one workshops with my parents, siblings, friends and family, trying to share as much knowledge as I could with them about this huge event that will shape our life time, The economic crisis of 2007.

Its not like I dont have the information, the articles, and the video's in my favorites folder in my internet browser, because I do. I have been reading heavily about the crisis since it happened. For some reason I knew, know, it will be a huge events, studied for generations like the great depression, and I want to know everything about it. How it happened, why it happened, who caused it, who is being blamed for it, who are the winners and losers, are some questions I want answers to.

Some say it was an old fashioned stick up. The treasury and the Federal Government gave away 13 trillion dollars with no strings attached. Our leaders said things like if we dont get the banks the money they want our system with crumble. Oh yes, this was a stick up. But by who? Who planned it. In the world of corporate corrupt news will we ever find out? Not on the tv we won't. The internet is the arena of real news. I call it non-corporate news. GE for example owns tv stations like abc or one of them. GE also makes weapons and sells them abroad. So war is good for the bottom line of GE and their stock holders. Why would GE let their abc news outfit tell the truth about how they are arming evil governments that will in turn kill massive amounts of innocent people? They cannot afford to report the truth in these situations. The internet can.

One article I read said just as the railroad barons built the largest empires in the USA for a century, controlling the levers of power, that the group getting the 13 trillion dollars in Federal bailout money will be the railroad barons of the next century. Look at other events in our national history it turns out we will do many wrong things to convince the country to do things our leaders want done, like how it turns out we entered Vietnam on lies, it was a setup to get us involved, same with the first Gulf war. So the argument is not that much of a consipracy that says this whole economic crisis was plannned, by some who wanted to take over our country and the world.

I said before that what happened was like economic terrorism. The same group that got us into this mess told us if we dont give them everything they need, meaning trillions of dollars, the whole system would collapse. So their was not question, the money was given.

But this was the perfect time have a dialoge about what we were saving, what kind of system, how has it worked in the past, has it benefited the nation on the whole or only a select few. Has the system we saved been the best system for our society. Maybe, maybe not, but the question was never asked. The system must be saved cried our leaders.

In fact our leaders passed the quickest bill ever to bail out our banks. The quickest, most bipartisan bill ever passed. The craziest video I saw was a press conference with members of congress talking about the passing of the first bank bailout of 700 billlion dollars. Congress came out and told the news how easy it was to pass this bill. How enjoyable it was to work with the other side of the aisle (their political opponents). How every bill should be passed in this manner. What I took away from that was the banking lobby has the most power in this country. Because every single bill ever passed has been faught over with Republicans on one end and Democrats on the other. They have never agreed. Yet in this case they agreed so easily it was wild.

1 comment:

  1. It's really great to be teaching a topic you feel so passionate about. I feel like it just comes naturally in that case. Your passion real comes out in your writing about your class and I can see it also by looking in the class itself.

    ReplyDelete